Sunday 4 August 2013

Excuse me I'm an introvert!

I've just found an article that explains me so well!

10 Myths About Introverts

Here are a few quotes:

"They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days."  

This is so me.  I really struggle with small talk, particularly with people I don't know.  Even with people I know I can find it hard to think of things to talk about. But I can talk for England about things that I'm excited about, and I am genuinely interested in people.
"Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting."  

Yes, I am baffled by all that beating about the bush and pretending.  I'm always shocked when people are dishonest or can talk about nothing when there is something more important going on. Plus, pretending all is well with small talk is just silly when you know that there's something up.  Makes me so frustrated.  Get it out in the open people and we can talk about it!

"Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts...But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with."
That is true. I do enjoy being with people. I love sharing ideas and talking about a variety of things.  But I do also need time alone.

But this one was so helpful to me:

"Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways."  

So true.  It explains so much about why I react to things like I do.  The church we are in now is very, very social, which I love.  But I also need peace and space and I find it stressful if I have to do too much.  I can't be doing with people in my face all the time; yet, I love people and I love to talk and find out things about people. However, a whirl of social activities get's me where my head feels too full of stuff and I crave space.  I can't cope with going to church where everyone's lively and in top emotional state and then have to do something social and busy straight after.  Well, that's not true, I can do it and have done it and enjoyed it, but I find it exhausting and need a day to recover, lol.  Being out every night gets my head in a total spin.

It's so nice to realise I'm normal...ish. :D

-------------

Hat tip to Leila.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Me too. Have you ever taken the Meyers Briggs Personality Test? It is an interesting way to look at your personality.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

Sarah said...

I did do one once but I can't remember what I came out as. I'll perhaps have to do one again.