Sunday 6 January 2019

Spanish-ish Chicken

Yesterday evening I made Spanish Chicken...except it was a little different to regular Spanish chicken because I used Italian salami in it rather than chorizo.  So I call it Spanish-ish chicken.

You can do this all in one pot and just cook it in the oven, but I pre-fried a number of the ingredients because I started to make it a little late and needed it to be done quicker.

I apologise that some of the instructions are vague, I kind of 'wing-it' when I'm cooking...which is why I have a bad relationship with my smoke alarm I think! 😂

Ingredients
(amount depends on the size of your family and how much you like each ingredient - I told you I was going to be vague!)

Potatoes
Chicken (I used mini chicken breast strips)
Salami (usually chorizo...but I didn't have any)
Plum tomatoes
Onions
Peppers ('bell peppers' - I put half yellow, half red in)
plus whatever other veg you like (I put in some carrots, some spinach, and some mushrooms)
Chicken stock
Garlic - have it as garlicky as you like, I just put in one clove.
Paprika
Pepper
a little salt
Oregano

Method
*there is always method in my madness*

You'll need a large casserole dish.


Chop the potatoes fairly small, then par-boil like you would if you were going to do roast potatoes.  I did mine for 15 minutes (which is longer than a par-boil) because I love potatoes fluffy and almost falling apart.

Pre-heat oven (and casserole dish with oil) to 220C if you are in a rush for it all to brown, otherwise 180-200C is fine.

Drain potatoes and pop in oven for 10 mins - sprinkled with paprika and oregano, and pepper and salt to taste.

Chop up your veggies.

Pre-fry the onions, peppers and any other 'harder' veg for about 5 mins.  Then sprinkle with paprika and oregano, and put them with the potatoes in the oven.


While they are cooking in the oven, fry the chicken for about 10 minutes until it is almost cooked right through (as I said you can do all this in the oven but it takes a lot longer), add the chorizo (or in my case salami) for a minute or two.



Then add the plum tomatoes, mushrooms (if you are having them) and around 200 mls of chicken stock to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes.


Here's what my potatoes and veg look like by now:


Then add the chicken and chorizo (salami haha) in it's sauce into the casserole dish and sprinkle with paprika and oregano.


If you want to, you can add something like spinach.


Cook together until it is bubbling and everything is nicely browned...but not for too long if you have spinach, otherwise it will go like tiny shrivelled bits of algae 😱!  Don't let it dry out either.


It was SO YUMMY!

No comments: