Monday 9 November 2009

Happy Homemaker Monday

hhm



Hurrah and Huzzah! I can join in Homemaker Monday because as of today I have no longer got a job - which is sad in some ways but such a blessing in others!


The weather in my neck of the woods:

Damp! Edit: It is now 10:13 am and the skies are blue and there is a touch of frost, beautiful and crisp. My favourite sort of Autumn day!

One of my simple pleasures:

Sitting with a cup of coffee, cat on my knee, reading.

On my bedside table:

Bible, Greek-English Interlinear Bible and Herb of Grace by Elizabeth Goudge

On my TV:

Frasier

On the menu for tonight:

Turkey in tomato and garlic sauce from the freezer, served with pasta.

On My To-Do List:

Lots and lots of laundry. Hubs was an icky-sicky chap this weekend so I have lots of laundry (kill them bugs with hot washes)! So, God willing, I'll catch up today.

funny pictures of cats with captions

New Recipe I tried last week:

No new recipes

In the craft basket:

Nothing right now.

Looking forward to:

Not having to go out to work!

Homemaking Tip for this week:

Don't spend too much time on the internet!!

Favourite Blog Post of the week (mine or other):


The Scrapbooking Industry and Postmodernism by my blog-friend Melissa. I don't scrap-book and neither does she condemn scrapbooking in the post, but discusses how we remember and document our memories, and how we reflect on them. For me it made me think, do I build little altars to my 'treasured' memories or do I build altars of remembrance to what God has done in my life. Melissa links this in with the current trends in scrapbooking and journalling, she points to the 'Creative Memories' website, which declares: “Your Life, Your Story, Your Way.”

"How does memory serve us and define us as individuals? Poorly if we don’t fit it into the metanarrative [the Gospel]. It becomes a self-centered activity that yields no meaning. Meaning is found only when we plug it into His story and understand our life in light of our growth in Him in relation to His purpose in history."
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

Is it my life I 'liveth' or 'Christ that liveth in me'? (I feel a song coming on!) :)

Favourite photo from last week:

'Supergirl'! Taken at Grizedale Forest in the Lake District

Lesson learned the past few days:

That in God's kingdom there is no sickness, no crying, perfect peace, perfect love; Come Lord Jesus!

On my Prayer List:

My sick husband (tummy bug), my friend who has cancer and is in great pain right now (if you could pray, I won't use her name because I haven't asked her permission, but the Lord knows who you will be praying for), that everyone in my family would find Jesus Christ and His saving grace, that I grow closer to my Lord Jesus Christ more and more everyday. Also, whether to get a collie puppy - yikes!

Devotionals, Scripture Reading, Key Verses:

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. Rev 21:4

Isn't that a beautiful picture? I found it here: Thy Word Forever, which has lots of lovely scripture related pictures and computer wallpapers.

Have a beautiful day and happy homemaking!


8 comments:

. said...

Good you are at home. God has His ways.
About laundry: I have a lot to do too. With a family of six, we always have a lot.
Alfazema

debra said...

I love your picture - it looks so fall-like. I am interested in reading your favorite post from last week.

Hope you enjoy being home!

Jen said...

I love the picture. I'm also interested in reading your favorite post. Have a good week.

Mrs. Michele B said...

I *love* your homemaking tip! LOL (o;

I read Melissa's post and I agree with it.---In the beginning I wasn't sure I was going to.

My favorite types of journals are not the kind where you write your deep, dark feelings. I like the ones that share the simple events of the day. I ran across someone who had posted their great grandmother's daily journal and it was NEAT to read. She usually only wrote one or two sentences but you really got a feel for how her days flowed. I think journals like that put a bit of flesh and blood humanity into the bigger events of history.

As for scrap booking.....I do enjoy doing it. I don't believe it's an idol in my life because for me it's about the pictures and getting them contained in one place, *not* the embellishments that are added.

I don't sew or do other crafts but I enjoy cutting paper and gluing etc...that goes along with scrap booking. I do think that it has become a HUGE industry. I also think a scrap book page with too much embellishment takes away from the pictures and the pictures are what should be the main thing.

I have known people that seem competitive with how nice their pages are and I could see how it could become an idol if one isn't careful. Melissa's post gave lots of food-for-thought!

Blessings my friend!
~Michele

Mrs. Michele B said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that I prayed for your hubby and for your friend. (o:

Hugs,
M

GretchenJoanna said...

I hadn't heard of Happy Homemaker Monday, and this was the first day I stumbled upon your blog, but what a special day to "meet" you, when you are newly full-time homemaking. Congratulations! Thanks be to God.

John Terry said...

I am so pleased you get inspiration from the Lake District. It is so beautiful regardless of the time of the year.

If you ever wish to base yourself for a longer stay then try these Lake District holiday cottages.

They are quiet and simple but with a huge garden and walking straight into the Longsleddale fells they allow so much space for meditation and reflections.

Sarah said...

Alfazema - so true God has His ways.

Debra - thanks! and thanks for visiting.

Jen - thanks! and thanks for visiting.

Michele - I don't scrapbook but it's something I'd love to find the time to do. Right now I just need to organise my photos!! I think anything that makes us prideful can become an idol. I think it's all about recognising and glorifying what God has done in our lives without it becoming all about me.

And thanks so much for your prayers, that really means a lot to me.

Gretchen-Joanna - thanks for visiting. God is good!

John Terry - thanks for the tip.

~blessings to you all.