Monday 21 May 2012

Well now, that's rather interesting!

Long time blog-friends know that I LOVE words.  So I know that you dear friends will be forgiving when I do a little word-dance of excitement over a new word or meaning.

I've heard it said before that the word 'sin' comes from an archery term which means 'to miss the mark' (as far as I understand it both the Greek word for sin and the Hebrew word for sin both have this root meaning).

I have personally interpreted this to mean that when we sin we miss the life that God wants us to live.  Sin leads to death (according to Paul's teaching in Romans), whereas righteousness leads to life (for Christians that means life in Jesus).

So imagine my word-related joy when I discovered this on Hebrew4Christians (a site I rather like):

The word Torah (תּוֹרָה) comes from the root word yarah meaning "to shoot an arrow" or "to hit the mark." - The Written Torah

AWESOME (a word one of Chatterbox's friend's teenage sister told me is the new 'cool' - 'cool' is no longer cool).

If you click the link to the Hebrew4Christians site the author explains further.

So:
Sin = missing the mark.
God's teaching (the Torah) = to hit the mark.

I love words.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

And a righteous man with many children has a quiver full of arrows. Coolness itself.

I love words too.

Sarah said...

Yes, lol.

Awesomeness itself! ;)