Thursday 17 February 2011

Aurora Borealis - it's not always grim up north.


Following recent solar flare activity, the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) may possibly be seen in the north of Britain. The further north you are the more likely you are to see the lights - so it'll be better for the Scots - but you never know I might get to see it here in north-west England. However, we need good weather (clear skies), which we don't always get a lot of in t'Pennines!

It's all dependent on geomagnetic activity, not many of us non-scientists are aware of solar flares and geomagnetic activity, so we lesser beings can keep up with alerts via Twitter: @BGSauroraAlert

The best times are apparently late night/early morning, but it's all dependent on that geomagnetic activity. This is a bit difficult for me because I like to be snuggled down in bed by 11pm...is it worth staying up? LOL :)

Happy spotting!

5 comments:

Joyce's Ramblings said...

I used to see them when I worked. They are beautiful.

Jan in Scotland said...

I'll look upwards when letting the dogs out tonight and in the morning but bed calls before 10 pm regardless of geomagnetic activity!

Susan B said...

I've always wanted to see the Northern Lights. I hope that you get to see them!

Have a great weekend! :)

Angela said...

I too have always dreamed of seeing the Northern Lights. Do let us know if you DO see them!
blessings x

Sarah said...

Sadly we didn't see them! :)