Monday 7 February 2011

Happy Homemaker Monday


The weather in my neck of the woods:

Heavy rain showers at first, then grey and murky. Temp: 9°C. Wind: direction SSW, wind speed 18mph, gusting at 52 mph. Roll on spring!

Things that make me happy:

When my children declare their love for Jesus. It's so touching and so real.

Book I'm reading:

Love's Unfolding Dream, Janette Oke

What's on my TV today:


We have a few things recorded on Sky+ - Top Gear, the new Hawaii Five-O (hubs was a fan of the original series, I don't really remember it), and Aircrash Confidential.

On the menu for dinner:


Spaghetti Bolognese

On my To Do List:

Clean kitchen;
Clean fridge;
Continue beginning of spring cleaning (starting in the kitchen);
Take girls to dancing (for those who don't know, they do line dancing and ballroom);
Work (also for those who don't know, I do 2 hours a day in the kitchen at my girls' school - yes, I'm a dinner lady!);
Church group tonight.

In the craft basket:

Pin cushions.

This week, Mum and I are going to the local wool and needlecraft shop to get some knitting needles and wool. Hubs has expressed a hankering for an extra long scarf in the style of Tom Baker's Dr Who.


I would also like to try my hand at crochet. It's something I've wanted to do for years but never got around to.

Looking forward to this week:


Our visit to the wool shop - small things please small minds! ;)

Tips and Tricks:

Use hob cleaner (I use Hob Brite) to clean tiles and shiny things - like a chrome kettle. It removes grease splashes and difficult to clean marks without scratching the surface. When rinsed and buffed, it shines up lovely! NB: I've never used it on silver or copper, etc., so don't risk it on delicate metals - always test in a hidden spot first!



My favourite blog post this week:


This from Tina at The Quiet Home, where she shares the sacrifices she's made to be a full-time homemaker:

Contentment bubbling over...

Quote: "We enjoy the simplest of pleasures.....a crackling fire, a mug of tea, pancakes warm from the stove, new library books, a glowing sunset, the sound of birdsong, the smell of damp earth, hot chocolate, fresh bed-linen, watching snow falling, candlelight, a soapy bath.....life is so rich, who needs stuff?"

Blog Hopping (a new discovered blog you would like to share with the readers):

I have three!
A Sheltering Tree
Time-warp Wife
Meditations and Memories

No words needed (favourite photo or picture, yours or others you want to share):


Lesson learned the past few days:

That I really can't do everything, and that's OK.

On my mind:

That my hyacinth smells gorgeous! I can smell it from here.

The lost. Friends and family of ours who don't know the Lord. It's so painful, some family and friends are very anti-church. So we are praying and praying, it's all we can do. Pray for the wisdom to speak when it is right to speak and to hold back when it's right to hold back. It's so hard.

Devotionals, Scripture Reading, Key Verses:

And he [Jesus] spake this parable unto them, saying,

What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.

I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
Luke 15:3-7


Our Pastor preached recently that we should always keep an eye out for the lost sheep. We naturally gravitate towards people we are friendly with or comfortable, but he reminded us that Jesus' heart was for the lost, the lonely, and the sick.

And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
Luke 5:31-32


Happy Monday!

6 comments:

Jan in Scotland said...

How I wish there was a yarn shop near me. You're lucky to have a local one. Choosing wool on the internet just isn't the same.
Happy Monday to you too.

Anonymous said...

Lost loved ones is such a grief to the heart isn't it? I can totally relate.

Anonymous said...

John wants to know what series you are all on Top Gear. He really enjoys that show. :) I think he's on series 11 now.

Mary said...

Good luck with your crocheting! I started almost two years ago now and I just love it. :)

Happy Homemaker Monday!

Sarah said...

Jan - It's so much better to be able to feel the wool and see the colours in 'real life'.

Michele - it's so heart breaking

Cabcree - we're on series 16 here in the UK. Is it popular in the USA?

Mary - I love the results so hopefully I'll enjoy it too!

Anonymous said...

don't necessary think it's popular here. John found it on Netflix and started watching it. :)