Saturday 3 December 2011

Homemade countdown calendar and update on kitchen

I made a Christmas countdown calendar today.  It's stuck to our mirror in the living room. I had some blue card, which had been given me a while ago.  I LOVE the colour and the texture is great.  I created a frame effect by putting some purple paper bordered with silver paint pen and then more blue card on top. You can't tell by the photograph but it has a bit of a decoupage effect as I used sticky pads rather than glue to stick everything together.  The pudding is a clip art picture I found on the 'net.  I cut it out of brown paper and then used white paper for the white sauce, pink paper for the plate and of course red and green paper for the holly.  There is a touch of green glitter glue on the large holly and it is all finished off with the silver paint pen.

We haven't put up our Christmas decorations yet.  When do you put up yours?

~oOo~

The decorating (painting and papering) in the kitchen is finished now - yay!  I'm just waiting to be sure the paint is dry before I hang the curtains.  We had a bit of a set-back though.  We have laminate wood floors in the kitchen.  Yesterday after running the washing machine I heard a squelch noise as I walked across the floor.  Water seeped up between the laminate planks.  I called my Dad (hubs was at work) and we discovered that we've had a drip from a pipe behind the washer for a while.  Under the flooring water was everywhere.  It's warped all the planks.

I could have cried.  I'd finally got the kitchen looking nice and then the floor is ruined.  *Sigh*  I will have to put up with concrete floor now until we can sort it out.

BUT - God is with us, He cares for us.  Despite my homemaker despair, I know that I have everything in Him.  He is in control.

Lol, the fact is the flooring we had down was the remnants of flood damaged flooring from Hubs' parents' house.  They had a flood a few years ago and we got all the pieces that weren't damaged. I thought that was quite funny that those that escaped their flood were damaged by our own little flood!

22 Days 'til Christmas!

Christmas is coming,
The goose is getting fat
Please put a penny
In the old man's hat.

If you haven't got a penny,
A ha'penny will do,
If you haven't got a ha'penny,
Then God bless you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I'm really sorry about your ruined floor, that is certainly no fun *at all*!

The countdown card you made is very pretty. And so is your Christmas-y blog design. :o)

Happy Sunday my friend!

Sarah said...

Thanks Michele! Happy Sunday to you too, Hugs!

Melissa said...

Congratulations to you on finishing the kitchen. The destruction of the flooring is oh - so frustrating though, I am sure!!

I can't wait to see photos.

Your countdown card is sweet.

I remember singing that carol in Christmas concerts at school when I was little.

Sarah said...

Thanks Melissa. :) The girls have made their own countdown calendars now. I'll have to post them, they're quite cute

Susan B said...

I'm so sorry about your kitchen flooring. How disappointing!

I like the countdown calendar you made. I bet the ones your daughter's made are so cute! :)

(I've always liked the Christmas carol you shared.)