Sunday 31 October 2010

Blackpool Illuminations.

Today after pancakes and cleaning out under the stairs we went to Blackpool to visit the illuminations. It took hubs ages to get the above photograph, we set the camera to night mode and then we had to put it on a fence to keep it steady as it took about 30 seconds for the exposure. It turned out well, but it wasn't worth faffing about for 30 seconds to try to get every photo looking this good.

The weather was a bit ominous as we travelled there and there was a torrential downpour. But by the time we'd parked up it had all cleared up.


Here are some of the tableaux. Our camera is not great with night-time photos so many of them haven't turned out.
This one (above) says, 'Jesus Light of the World'






Blackpool is a seaside resort, it's not the most upmarket place and is the haunt of many hen and stag nights. But it's fun for children and has the Pleasure Beach with lots of roller coaster rides and other attractions.

This is the 'Big One' roller coaster - you can just about make out the carriages on the big drop.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach

This is one of the decorated trams

Squidge wearing a headband with dangly pink things and ribbons that sparkled with little lights.





We had a great time, but I'm exhausted now. I should be in bed really, but hubs is watching Alien and I keep thinking, "An extra hour in bed tomorrow" (here in the UK the clocks go back an hour tonight).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

love doing lights like this. want to do some around Christmas again this year. :)

Anonymous said...

Those are some really good pictures! I can never take good pictures at night.

Susan B said...

Looks like you had a great time! The photos came out really nice. I don't think I would like to ride on the roller coaster...I used to love them, but not anymore! Our time gets turned back on November 7th. Enjoy your extra hour of sleep! :)

Anonymous said...

It's many years since I saw the Blackpool illuminations, they're a wonderful sight for children.
But I think Blackpool was best seen in the dark rather than the daylight even then!
I hope you enjoyed your extra hour in bed - no benefit here as I had family here for the weekend with a toddler who didn't know the clocks had changed!
Eve x

The Bookworm said...

Looks great fun! I don't think I've ever seen the Blackpool Illuminations, though I went to the Pleasure Beach once while visiting friends in Lytham. We are off to do roller coasters tomorrow - Alton Towers. Cherub has school, but the older two have teacher training days, so we are taking advantage of what we hope will be a quiet day with short queues. Hope my post-virus energy levels hold up!

Sarah said...

Cabcree - I enjoy the lights too, I think Blackpool do need to get some new ones though!

QGL - it's really hard to get decent pictures. I tried to get pictures of the flashing lights on the girls' headdresses but of course the flash took away the effect. If I switched off the flash it was too dark! Lol.

Susan - I used to love roller coasters too. But as I've got older it's like I've lost my bottle!

Eve - lol, Blackpool isn't the prettiest of seaside resorts in the daylight. :)

Bookworm - they've got a new ride at the Pleasure Beach, we were watching it. It looks similar to Nemesis at Alton Towers. Enjoy your time at Alton Towers!