Saturday 13 July 2024

Back from holiday catch up

We arrived back from our holiday in Derbyshire yesterday. We had such a lovely time. It's nice to be back in my own bed though! I slept really well. Our mattress at home is a fairly firm memory foam mattress, the mattress on holiday was very comfortable but sprung and so every time G or I moved it woke the other one up.

The journey home wasn't too long and we drove through some beautiful countryside. I was very excited to see a badger by the side of the road scuttling along. It's pretty unusual to see them in daytime.

Look at that pothole... there were some magnificent potholes on the country lanes.

I've been pottering about this morning, tidying up, doing a bit of cleaning and noticed my gerbera daisy outside. The picture below doesn't do it justice, it looks a bit oversaturated on my computer, but it's glorious. I was given this gerbera daisy 22 years ago by some kind neighbours where we used to live after I suffered a miscarriage. Sadly it had recently succumbed to leaf mould and those horrid black mould flies. I'd followed all the advice online, bought mould killer but to no avail. It was a sad looking plant. I put it outside because I couldn't bear to get rid of it and now look at it! It's leaves are healthy and the flowers beautiful. The only issue is I think a snail has been chomping on the leaves a bit. Do I dare bring it back indoors?

 
It was G's 50th birthday recently. We had an open house type party. I kept it secret until the day before. Loads of people came, which I was rather chuffed about as organising parties is not my skill set. Our little house was full to the brim.  Below you can see Coco guarding the Lego. G loves Star Wars and loves Lego. I bought him the At At and a friend bought him the R2-D2. I think he's planning on building them today.


I'm planning a fairly lazy day too. A big of blogging, a bit of sorting through the myriad of photos I have stored and organising them by date and year. I'm currently using them to put together a bit of a journal, which I might transfer over to the blog so that is is more of a complete journal. Although, if I spent all my time and effort doing that, what if Google suddenly decided to stop supporting Blogger - yikes!! That does worry me a bit! Oh and laundry, the post holiday laundry is always fun. 

I have my bookclub tomorrow, we're meeting at a local cafe. This month we read The Other Mothers by Katherine Faulkner. I gave it 4 stars. It's a bit of a mystery, thriller, plot twist kind of book and jumps between points of view and time (which normally annoys me because I get a bit lost, but this one was OK).

I'm currently reading Play Dead by Harlan Coben, a bit dated now - it was his first novel - but still a good read. 

I really like Harlan Coben books, I discovered his books after watching the adaptation of The Stranger on Netflix, what a great TV series!

I think I might read Pride and Prejudice again soon, I haven't read any Jane Austen for a while. For my 50th last year my girls bought me Pride and Prejudice with all the letters included as separate 'handwritten' letters. It's SO pretty.


To Miss Elizabeth Bennett

Written from Rosings at 8 o'clock in the morning

From Fitzwilliam Darcy

Pretty cool hey?

Anyway, that's it for now.

Sarah x

12 comments:

Sandra said...

Sarahhhhhhh ♥ I was so happy to see a comment from you, oh my word it's been years. So glad you're blogging again. I know, I sometimes think what I would do if blogger decided to disappear, but I think that won't happen, although I have been turning all my blogs to books for years so if that happens at least I have a copy.

Love Jane Austen so much, and that is such a beautiful gift for your birthday.

Have a lovely day sweet friend!

Sarah said...

It has been years!! So good to be blogging and reconnect! I think it was 2006 when I had the Bend in the Road blog that we first connected via blogger - I think I made some comment about the football at the time (maybe the world cup or something) haha. Have a lovely day too ♥

Sue in Suffolk said...

Hello, just found your blog post. Lovely to find a new blog to read

Sarah said...

Hi Sue! Thanks for stopping by :)

Kathryn said...

Ah! I think I may be cracking this comment thing again ;). I love that copy of Pride and Prejudice! And I had no idea that there was an author with my name, albeit a different spelling. I'll have to check out her books.

Sarah said...

Haha, Kathryn, I've just been messing with the comment options and chosen the reCaptcha thing without moderation, so maybe that's it.

Elizabethd said...

Jane Austen is a perennial favourite. For me, a much nicer read than Coben!

Sarah said...

Hi Elizabeth, I do love Jane Austen, definitely one of my favourite writers along with Elizabeth Goudge and LM Montgomery. But I do enjoy a twisty thriller too, and Corben's are usually full of twists!

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I am going to enjoy reading your blog, Sarah. I'm so glad you stopped by so I could come visit you. You living in England and sharing some of your trips around the countryside is right up my alley. I live across the pond in Alberta, Canada. My husband and I visited England in 2016 and enjoyed our month stay very much. I see we also share a love of books, including Jane Austin, and kitty cats. Yours looks adorable!

Wishing you a beautiful day and week ahead.
Brenda :)

Chris said...

I love that idea of including her letters, I read Jane Austin when young and haven't since. Perhaps I should again.

Sarah said...

Hi Brenda, thanks for visiting, I really do love cats! and Jane Austen :)

Sarah said...

Hi Chris, thanks for stopping by, and you should definitely read more Jane Austen, I thoroughly recommend :)