Friday 12 July 2024

Bolsover Castle - Visited 10th July 2024

On Wednesday we visited Bolsover Castle, which is owned by English Heritage. It's not a real castle but rather it's a Stuart mansion which was built where a medieval castle once stood. There is a little 'castle' and the ruins of the 'Terrace Range' which were apparently very impressive banqueting rooms and a large kitchen.

It was kind of interesting to visit, there were some really cool rooms but the rest was mostly a bunch of empty damp rooms and blank panelled rooms that had no information on display - we should have bought the tour guide book! There were some rooms that had painted panelling - and we came across a woman doing some conservation work on the paintings, which was interesting.

I had a very nice Cornish Pasty in the cafe though, so that made up for my slight disappointment.

Ruins of Terrace Gallery


Little castle and wall walk

Fountain Garden with Venus in the middle.

The following are pictures of the more decorated rooms... I'm not sure which rooms they were, I didn't make a note.


Painting of Hercules doing his thing

Money doesn't buy taste, that's for sure haha.

Sarah x

2 comments:

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Oh my! How breathtaking your photos are! Can you imagine actually living in a castle back in the day? I feel like I would knock about a lot, but I'm sure I would have been one of the very busy servants!
Be blessed,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

P.S. I'm going to begin my Thrifty Week posts again next weekend.

Sarah said...

Hi Laura, yes I imagine there was a lot to do, when King Charles I visited in 1634 they banqueted 30 swans, 30 peacocks, 30 turkeys, 40 herons 120 geese and 600 domestic fowl!