Sunday 14 July 2024

{Old Fashioned blogger - Say Hi! }

I saw this on Sandra's blog (Diary of a Stay at Home Mom) - so thought I'd join in! 

1) How long have I been blogging and why did I start this blog?

I started blogging in 2006 at a blog called A Bend in the Road. I was lonely at that time in life, so was reaching out to other mums and Christian women’s blogs. I started this blog after I closed my old blog when I was getting some really weird comments which made me nervous.

2) How did I choose the name of my blog?

There’s nothing more cheerful than sunshine streaming in through your windows. I just wanted to capture that idea of a happy light filled home.

3) What is my blog about?

Mostly it’s like a journal I guess. Just bits of my life. I’ve dipped in and out of blogging in recent years, but I do love the idea of connecting with others and sharing my life. Sometimes I’ll share deeper stuff, but mostly it’s just my daily doings.

4) Tell us a little about yourself and your family.

I am 50 years old English woman. I work part-time for a non-profit related to health inequality. My husband (G) works for a Christian charity in fleet and facilities management, health and safety, etc. We’ve been married for almost 24 years. We have two girls, both grown up: B is 23 in August and L is 20. B gained a first in Religious Studies last year and is now living at home at the moment and L is currently at university doing Design. We have a very fluffy cute kitty called Coco.

My mum and dad live locally and I’m hoping to spend more time with them as they get older, I’ve reduced my hours at work to do that.

5) A few of my favourite things (collections, things that make me happy, etc.).

Books. Plants. Pretty ornaments. Pictures. Candles.

6) What do you like to do in your spare time (hobbies, crafts, etc..)?

Read a lot. Spend time with family – I love watching films (I watch a wide variety but I am a big Simon Pegg fan, Star Wars franchise and Lord of the Rings), eating out, playing board games. Play old Tomb Raider games – I’m currently revisiting Tomb Raider III! I also occasionally paint, but not often enough. I enjoy walking, watching birds, and visiting historical places. I have also been found, on occasion, to hug a tree.

7) What does your dream house look like? (Describe and/or include photo)

An old stone cottage on the coast of Cornwall, with a proper pretty cottage garden, a small wood and a stream running at the bottom of the garden, you can see and hear the sea. I have my own tiny beach cove. The kitchen has a massive wooden table where we sit as a family and chat. I would need to be a millionaire to get this, but one can dream. I couldn't find a picture that meets these requirements haha.

8) If you could visit anywhere, anytime, where would it be and why?

Cornwall – I just love it there. Or maybe somewhere in Italy, like the lakes.

9) Would you share with us a favourite homemaking/organizing tip or recipe, etc..?

Organising tip – as someone who is easily distracted or overwhelmed the timer is your friend. Living room in chaos, just set the timer for 15 minutes and quickly do what you can. It makes it feel doable and less overwhelming.

11) Tell us a way God has blessed you and/or your family.

Really good relationships with our girls. The best husband – obviously (he’s sat right next to me!). We enjoy each other’s company lots.

12) Share any words of wisdom and/or a favourite quote you'd like to leave with us.

I love this quote from Anne of Green Gables (which is where I got my old blog title from):

“When I left Queen's my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I am going to believe that the best does. It has a fascination of its own, that bend, Marilla. I wonder how the road beyond it goes - what there is of green glory and soft, checkered light and shadows - what new landscapes - what new beauties - what curves and hills and valleys farther on.”

Because we don’t know what is around the corner, we can make all the plans in the world, but we just don’t know what is there – but we needn’t despair, all will be well and all manner of things will be well (as Julian of Norwich said).

Favourite Bible verse: The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still (Exodus 14:14).

11 comments:

Elizabethd said...

That was so interesting .How sad that you had weird comments. I have had one or two but just delete them.

Sue in Suffolk said...

Your dream home sounds wonderful! You would get lots of visitors!

Kathryn said...

More love for Cornwall here. It would be my dream house location too, and I rather like the sound of your cottage! I think I started my first blog around the same time.

Sarah said...

Elizabeth - they were a bit creepy to be honest.
Sue - I think I definitely would :)
Stacy - Aw that's lovely, thank you, I'll visit you too :)
Kathryn - Cornwall is just beautiful isn't it? It's almost like going abroad.

Sandra said...

My sweet friend, we have been blogging together for many many years. I still remember A Bend in the Road, that is how I first met you. So glad you're still here ♥

Sarah said...

So glad you are still here too. I feel quite nostalgic for the old days 😊

Dawn Marie said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my page. I would love to follow yours. Also, I loved Anne of Green Gables when I was younger.

Sarah said...

Hey Dawn, thanks! Anne of Green Gables is a perennial favourite of mine ❤️

threesidesofcrazy said...

I really enjoyed reading your post and am glad to meet you. I absolutely ADORE Anne of Green Gables - great quote. I also REALLY enjoyed reading your answer to #7 - made me feel like I was there! Have a GREAT rest of the week.

Sarah said...

Thanks ☺️ and have a great week too!

Sarah said...

Hi Nicole it’s definitely a lifesaver! 😊